From: Juergen P. <jay@core.at>
Subject: Re: Calendar and dates before 1.1.1971
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:40:02 +0200
To: <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>, <dmz-lists@tffenterprises.com>

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 19:09:36 -0700
"Daniel M. Zimmerman" <dmz-lists@tffenterprises.com> wrote:

--On 28 March 2011 02:39:01 +0200 "Juergen P." <jay@core.at> wrote:

hello,

quick summary:

cgatepro's calendar is not a birthday calendar or reminder. it is used
for scheduling.

This is nonsense. There is nothing in any of the vCalendar/iCalendar specifications that says that you can't use a compliant calendar for birthday reminders or that would technically prevent you from doing so. For that matter, there's nothing that says you _must_ use it for "scheduling" and not as a diary/record of past events or an appointment book - not everybody uses, or has any need for, groupware! There is also, of course, nothing in the specifications that says that dates before 1971 are invalid.

my nonsense:
we have 2011, now, i think -
why do you want to enter dates 1942 for example? the only effect you'll have is having created many repeated events in the calendar folder.
that is nonsense :-)

don't you need disk-space for other things?

i understood that communigate pro is an application server - if you need appplications you can write it by yourself-
but anyway  - you said it by yourself -   you CAN use it as a birthday calendar  :-)
you CAN use it also to turn on/off the light via dialing an defined extension which starts a script if a call is received .
i said bithday reminders like  counting repetitions from the first event till now and showing then: "this is the 41st repetition of my birthday" are not included. the message would then be:  juergen is 41 today - i hope this is clear now :-)
i f you need something like that you can create yourself a script and run it once  a day to schedule this.

you can edit this years calendar, put ther all birthdays (additional info could be the real birthday) and set it to repeat - quick and dirty solution for your problem.

greetings,

juergen

As a counterpoint, I just added a all-day event, repeating yearly starting from March 27, 1942, to my MobileMe calendar (the new CalDAV version that Apple has been making people migrate to) and it works fine; I can go all the way back to 1942 on the calendar and see it on March 27 every year from then until now. I would be willing to bet that Google Calendar also handles repeating birthday-type events properly even if they start before 1971, though I haven't tried it yet. Of course, I don't really have to do such things myself on MobileMe calendar because Apple's software automatically makes a birthday calendar from the birthdays specified in my address book... but that's neither here nor there.

It seems to me that if there's a problem with CommuniGate's calendar in this regard, it's a problem with CommuniGate and not with the standards. If some lazy programmer wants to make an excuse about it being hard to keep track of dates before the epoch because of the way UNIX timestamps work, that's their prerogative; using UNIX timestamps for calendaring is absurd because they break both in the future and the past. The calendaring specs certainly don't use UNIX timestamps, and I'd imagine this fragility is part of the reason why.

-Dan

Send administrative queries to

---

Best regards