From: Brian Gibson <gibson_brian@wheatoncollege.edu>
Subject: Re: any fix yet for Thunderbird issues?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:11:58 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
To answer your question Juergen we have 900 channels for the IMAP listener and under "settings" - "access" - "imap" - "listener" we have two ports listening (143 and 993) and the "Limit Connections from same Address:" is set to unlimited and the "Reserve Connections for Clients:" is set to "0".

Typically we have anywhere from 700 to on the high end 800 IMAP connections at a time and it dies off at night to anywhere in the 400's.

On 2/8/2011 11:51 AM, Juergen P. wrote:
settings - acces - imap - listener

what limits are set there? would be interesting.

kr

Juergen

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 08:44:57 -0800
"Matthew Black" <black@csulb.edu> wrote:
On Fri, 04 Feb 2011 11:31:52 +1000
Shaun Gamble <listrdr@redco.com.au> wrote:

When TB upgraded to 3.0 and then 3.1, there was an introduced issue where they index all of the emails in each folder. This causes all sorts of issues. The indexing can be switched off but only at the client. We experienced the problems. As a CGP administrator, you may not notice the problems unless you get complaints or look for them. The problem definitely exists though and is caused by TB, not CGP.

The only solution I have found is to disable the setting at each client. When you have a large number of clients with TB, this is not necessarily an easy option.

Here's a thought...

We have plenty of Thunderbird users but haven't seen any problems with the start of our spring semester. My experience is that Thunderbird indexes all folders the FIRST CONNECTION only, and then it only indexes new messages with each successive connection. With people returning from a long break, they may have a lot of new messages in their INBOX to index.

I'm personally using Thunderbird 3.1.7, although this message was composed in webmail.

We run CGP 5.3.2 on a 2x2 dynamic cluster, Solaris x86, 38000 accounts and 1200 current IMAP sessions on the two back-ends.

Under advanced server settings, Thunderbird defaults to 5 IMAP sessions that it will cache. Is there a way to enforce a CGP server side limit?

matthew black
e-mail postmaster
california state university, long beach

Send administrative queries to