From: Brian Gibson <gibson_brian@wheatoncollege.edu>
Subject: Re: any fix yet for Thunderbird issues?
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 11:20:41 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the feedback, way back when we set up CGPro one of the first things we did was start tweaking the indexing. It is such a strange problem that it only pops up once in a while with 1 to 2 users and when it does we take action. As of this morning I've taken a different approach, I created a global rule that will look for messages from Thunderbird 3 users (by looking at the User-Agent header) and will file a copy into a folder, once we get one message from a user copied into the folder we exclude that user from the rule so by the end of a day or two we will have at least gotten a pretty complete list of who is using Thunderbird 3 and we can go out and visit them and check out their settings..... it's better than trying to find out who is using IMAP than call all these people and find out whether or not they are using Thunderbird 3.

I am also leaning towards what Nicolas had suggested, keeping the message synchronization turned on which will help speed up message access. We just have to turn it on one user at a time so it doesn't create a flood of I/O.

As far as the Message Enqueuers and Dequeuers we have 50 of the former and 25 of the later, these were numbers suggested to us by CGPro tech support during our initial implementation.

On 2/7/2011 11:01 AM, Tom Rymes wrote:
On 02/06/2011 5:37 PM, Rob Logan wrote:

  if mdir-format mailboxes could render the server performance even worse.

I often have 10+ thunderbird 3.1 users connected to my tiny hobby server
all fully indexing 76G of mdir boxes with good performance and a load avg of .05.

ZFS with 8G ram doesn't hurt.  (read: pls consider using a modern file system)

I have to say that I really do think that more people would be screaming about this if it was a major issue, but then again, it's not like many of us have as large of a user base as the OP, I suppose.

Anyhow, I presume that you have looked at and modified the number of enqueuer/dequeuers, indexing Y/N, Minimum size to index, and all of the other performance related settings out there? I know that when I ran into issues due to massive shared calendars modifying those settings made a huge difference.

My apologies for not being able to better list the dozen or so different settings that might be able to improve this, perhaps a call to CGP is in order? Also, I know that you probably have done all of this already, but it seems odd to me that a handful of users could really be hosing things so badly, and yet very few others are screaming about it.

Tom