From: Daniel Pratt <dpratt@neas.com>
Subject: Perl scripting for PIPE
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 17:16:48 -0600
To: <cgatepro@mail.stalker.com>
I have a shell script that runs every morning at 3am backing up the /var/CommuniGate directory to a second volume. Works great. New file every night date stamped correctly. At the end of the script I want it to send me an email notification to my gmail account.

So I did:

    echo "Nightly backup $NOWDATE completed" | mail -s "Nightly Backup" myusername@gmail.com

However, that won't work as the installer renames the /usr/bin/mail program to /usr/bin/LegacyMail.

So now my messages end up in the Submitted folder as .sub files. Researching this I need to get a Perl script for the PIPE Application Directory setting to trigger to get my simple email notification to go out.

I'm not up on Perl scripting (obviously should be). Has someone already created a script to do this?

Should I approach this differently?

Thanks.

- Dan Pratt
v5.3.10
Mac OS X (10.6.4) / MacMini SnowLeopard Server
/var/Communigate directory on Promise SmartStor DS4600 RAID Tower