From: Nicolas Hatier <nicolas.hatier@niversoft.com>
Subject: Re: WebMail Performance Problems OSX PPC
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 11:50:48 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>

On 2010-11-09 11:28, Lyn wrote:
Thanks for the info. This is all new territory... our CGP server has always been very fast and reliable.

I found the TextMailbox Manger settings and changed to Concurrently used large buffers: 20 (was 10) and Index Mailboxes larger than: 1Mbyte (I'm wondering if I need to restart CGP for these setting to work?)

New accounts are configured to use .mdir. However, I do see a number of older account users with INBOX.mbox and related .bdx (I'm assuming index) files.

The default Domain settings for account storage are: FLAT Folding Method, Rename In Place NO, and Generate Index: YES

Maximum account size per mailbox is set to 750M. Very few approach this amount, but there are always some. I'm guessing that the average WebMail user has at least 1,000 messages per account, many of which are Inbox messages. We've been trying to get users to create folders, etc. in order to move items out of the Inbox. Is it possible that a few users with impossibly huge Inboxes (thousands of messages) could be dragging the entire server down?
If they are in mdir format, or not-indexed mbox, yes.

- Indexed mbox is very fast for all operations but expunge. Hard to do diff backups.
- Mdirs are slow for initial load (memory indexing), then quite fast for all operations. Unfortunately the initial load may happen several times a day. Best for diff backups.
- Not-indexed mbox is slow for everything except append.

Nicolas

On Nov 9, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Brian Gibson wrote:

If you use Text formatted mailboxes (a.k.a. mbox) then I'd check out these settings...

Settings/General/Other/Index Mailboxes larger than  (we have ours set to 1000k but we started out with 3000K)
Settings/General/Other/Concurrently used large buffers: (we have our set to 20)

On 11/9/2010 9:16 AM, Lyn wrote:
We are starting to have serious poor performance problems reported by WebMail users. IMAP and POP connections seem fine. Anyone else out there with a similar/successful configuration who would be willing to offer a tip or two?

Environment:
CGP 5.0.14
G5 (PPC) MacPro 4.5 GB RAM
OS X: 10.5.8

CGP Settings:
POP clients: 250 Channels
IMAP Clients: 500 Channels
HTTP User Clients: 250 Channels

I've also configured the startup.sh file with the following:
ulimit -d 1048576
ulimit -c 16384

Peak Hours Open Channels:
POP: 180
IMAP: 200
Web User Sessions: 250

The server's internet connection is not restricted by the ISP. By crude observation, CGP appears to be able to send around 380 - 430 KB/s out. The disk housing CGP's BaseDirectory seems too busy - during peak times, it appears to be constantly performing read operations.

I understand the implications of a WebMail user attempting to open a mailbox with thousands of Inbox items. But, I'm monitoring a mail account with a total of 300 messages, 53 of which are Inbox items that can take at least 45 seconds to open at times.

TIA

Lyn