From: Lyle Giese <lyle@lcrcomputer.net>
Subject: Re: Blacklist-admin email address
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2010 13:44:07 -0500
To: CommuniGate Pro Discussions <CGatePro@mail.stalker.com>
I believe by default, it's defined in the router and all-domain aliases.

(I am looking at a 5.3.7 system)

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

Gib Henry wrote:
On 8/8/10 6:00 AM, CommuniGate Pro Discussions wrote:
Re: Blacklist-admin email address
From:
Lyle Giese <lyle@lcrcomputer.net>
Date:
Sat, 07 Aug 2010 14:52:49 -0500

It's a special because that's the way CGPro comes out of the box.  You are welcome to change it.  There is no RFC requirement for it.

How/where does one change it?

If you have referenced that address in any webpages or custom string responses, you need to replace it there.  It's just a matter of time before the bad guys will find the new one and hammer away on it...

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

Uwe Baemayr wrote:
Thanks for your reply.  I assume that the <blacklist-admin@mydomain> email
address is specified in the denial when a message is refused because of a
blacklist.

Is it possible to change this address to a different address (say "rbl-
admin") to invalidate the current address -- or, after a refusal, are the
spammers just sending email to whatever address mentioned in the denial out
of spite?  In the latter case, changing it wouldn't do any good.

Is "blacklist-admin" part of the RFC, like <poastmaster> -- does it have to
exist?

--- Uwe

On 7 Aug 2010 at 9:29, Lyle Giese wrote:

Uwe Baemayr wrote:

Howdy!

I'm suddenly getting a lot of spam at blacklist-admin@mydomain -- the
worst kind with trojan/virus payloads. This address apparently gets a free
pass in the routing table.

Can I reassign this as a spamtrap, or is this somehow special?  I'd
like to change

   <blacklist-admin*@blacklisted> = whitehole

   <blacklist-admin*@blacklisted> = spamtrap

Sorry for my lack of understanding here...

--- Uwe

It's a special address.  If you are using RBL's to filter email, what
happens when a legit email source is accidentally blocked by a mistake
in an RBL?

This email address is a means for the sender to contact you for
assistance in clearing a mistake in an RBL.  Therefore, email sent to it
needs to be exempt from RBL's.

We get tons of crap on that email address, but it's a necessary evil.

Lyle Giese
LCR Computer Services, Inc.

Send administrative queries to  <CGatePro-request@mail.stalker.com>