From: Jon Doyle <jdoyle@communigate.com>
Subject: Re: Oddity in IM
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 10:49:55 -0700
To: <CGatePro@communigate.com>
Hello;

>Another question is can you define a chat room so that users are always in there by default, or maybe send an IM to a list >or a group and have all of the online members of the list or group automatically signed in to the chatroom, or receive the >IM?

Some clients support this. If you look under "Join Chatroom" in iChat, there is an "auto-logon" option. In the old days of Unix, I used to logon like that with IRC in the morning. So I can see the use here for some company wide chatrooms, sales teams, marketing, or watercooler :~) . I am not sure what other clients do, but I have seen the auto-logon option, not just in iChat.

>The obvious reason would be to quickly send an IM to everyone. Even an IM to all@domain.dom might be a decent >option. Will this work?

I think that would be client dependent. I mean, you could send an email saying everyone needs to join "watercooler" at 1300, but if you mean a special link, that automagically-launched the session, humm, that would be more of something we could do in Pronto! which could have some value; like a calendar invitation.

Regards,

Jon